The fuel of the future, the pellets, can be supplied in different sized packaging ranging from a bag containing 15 kg up to large deliveries in silo trucks for bulk storage. They can be simply and easily stored in a small cellar or storeroom and the cost of conversion is very low.
The storage room walls must meet the structural requirements needed to support the weight of the pellets (650 kg/m³ density). In practice, the following wall thickness is recommended*:
- Medium weight perforated bricks 11.5 cm, plastered on both sides
- 10 cm of concrete walls
- 12 cm of brick walls, plastered on both sides
- Timber walls made of 8 cm frame supports, 50 cm apart, covered with 20 mm OSB boards on both sides.
It is mandatory to ensure the dust density of the storage space. Aerated concrete blocks are not recommended. External walls made out of aerated concrete blocks should be covered with OSB boards. A connection to the ceiling, floor and walls must constructed. Pellets are highly hygroscopic. In contact with water or damp surfaces, for example with damp walls, the pellets absorb water, disintegrate and become unusable.
- The pellet storage space must remain dry all year around.
- In cases of any risk of damp walls (e.g. in old buildings) it is recommended to fit vented furring to the walls. Alternatively, the pellets should be stored in a sack silo or similar premises.
- Sack silos and outdoor discharge units should be protected against rain water or splash water and direct sunlight (e.g. by a carport, wooden crates…).
NO ELECTRICAL INSTALLATIONS
In the pellet storage space there must be no electrical installations such as switches, lights, junction boxes etc.! All electrical, water, sewage and other installations must be plastered over and suitably insulated and protected from mechanical stress. For safety reasons, no exposed electrical installations (lighting, electrical wiring, junction boxes, electrical outlets, light switches etc.) are allowed in the storage room. In any event, all electrical installations must be fitted with blast protection in accordance with the applicable TRVB H 118. Any pipes or openings should be avoided or well-sealed to prevent dust from escaping.